A skilled, licensed Medical Social Worker works with patients and their caregivers to prepare a plan of care which identifies the actions or services necessary to allow the patient to be cared for safely at home. This is accomplished through:
- Identifying appropriate community resources
- Short term planning (what is needed immediately for the patient to be cared for appropriately?)
- Long term planning (what are future needs; what are the things we should be thinking about?)
- Psycho-social support for:
- Patients dealing with an acute, chronic or terminal illness
- Assisting caregivers to identify resources that may be helpful in caring for patients with significant cognitive and/or physical limitations and needs
Financial planning/assessing eligibility for state or federally funded, community based services.