A Registered Dietician works with patients and caregivers in assuring the patient is following a therapeutic, nutritionally sound diet. This is accomplished through:
- Assessing individual patient caloric and nutritional requirements for nutrition taken orally or through a feeding tube.
- Instructing the patient and/or caregiver on a therapeutic diet.
- Assessing the patient’s and/or caregiver’s ability to obtain, prepare and eat the diet prescribed by the physician:
- Suggesting an Occupational Therapy referral for identified physical debilities preventing the patient from getting the proper nutrients.
- Suggesting a Speech Therapy referral for swallowing difficulties preventing proper nutrition.
- Suggesting a Medical Social Worker referral if financial constraints prevents the patient from obtaining food.